Monday, May 7, 2007

The Cricket in Times Square

I had a hard time with this book. I was initially excited about reading it, especially since it is a Newbery Honor Book, but I honestly struggled to get through it. With only 151 pages, I spent over a week picking it up and putting it down again. My roommate told me she had tried to read it with her third graders, and they just weren’t interested so they put it down too. Then in class last Wednesday, we discussed putting down books that just aren’t that great and moving on. I really have a tough time with that. On one hand, there are so many books in the world that I want to read that I don’t need to waste time on one that’s not holding my attention. On the other hand, I don’t feel like I’ve really given the book a chance until I get to the end. Many books have taken some time and devotion before I absolutely loved them. When I was in high school I read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – I was 100 pages into that book and hated it before something clicked and I was hooked. It is one of the best books I’ve ever read and he is one of my favorite authors. In fact, many of my favorite books/authors were “not so great” at first. Part of me feels like I can’t make an educated decision about a book until I’ve finished it, given the author a chance to say what he/she wants to say. And yet, in the past week I’ve started and stopped many, many books, searching for an interesting read for historical fiction. Ah, so many books, so little time. What’s a girl to do?

As for The Cricket in Times Square, I guess my official decision is that it was “okay”. I wasn’t amazed but I wasn’t flat-out horrified either. The cricket’s name is Chester, and he befriends a cat (Harry) and a mouse (Tucker) in the New York subway station after he is mistakenly carried onto a train from Connecticut in a picnic basket. For some reason, I kept thinking the mouse’s name was Chester and the cricket was Tucker. On that note, I had to remind myself several times what I was reading about and who they were. Published in 1960, I also wonder about the cultural sensitivity to the Chinese characters in the book. The written accents weren’t great and it just seemed like there could be so much more. Some of the language was definitely interesting and a sign of the times. Selden writes of “the by-gone times” and “skin-flints”, a skinflint being defined as a selfish person who is unwilling to spend or give. I looked up reviews on Amazon.com and found that most of the reviews were written by students who truly loved this book, calling it the “best adventurest book” they’d ever read. Wow. Would I have loved this book as a kid? Maybe? Because I don’t love it now, would that keep me from reading it to a classroom of kids who would potentially love it? Maybe? I would have to fake enthusiasm, and there are just so many other good books…

I’m torn.

No comments: